December 8, 2020
As chronic inflammation becomes increasingly common, anxiety and chronic diseases also become more common. Inflammation has been to shown to influence mood, weight, cognitive function, formation of certani diseases, and much more, but why is it getting worse? Many experts point to our diets and daily exposure to environmental toxins as the main reasons for the exponential rise in inflammation and chronic disease. In this week’s episode we’ll discuss how chronic inflammation is related to anxiety, as well as other conditions, and what you can do to help combat inflammation.
Products Mentioned in Today’s Show
Joint Support Max – Joint Support Max provides targeted nutritional support for cartilage and joints.† The metabolically active form of vitamin B12, as well as folic acid and the trace minerals molybdenum and silica are included to enhance the body’s utilization of the primary ingredients.
B Complex Ultra – B vitamins are essential nutrients required for optimal health and functioning of numerous systems and biochemical reactions in the body, including energy production, brain, liver and nerve cell function, and muscle tone in the GI tract.† Activated forms of folate (Metafolin®‡ L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate) and vitamin B12(methylcobalamin) are used for enhanced absorption and bioavailability.
GABA – Gamma-Aminobutyric acid (GABA), as the major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system, helps support normal relaxation, neuronal excitability, and muscle tone.†
You can also listen to How Chronic Inflammation is Related to Anxiety on our YouTube channel here. Be sure to check out our article about inflammation here.
October 9, 2019
Candida overgrowth is a frequently discussed topic, and we get many questions about it from our patients. It is often blamed for many different health issues like autoimmune diseases, sinus infections, urinary tract infections, chronic fatigue, and many others. However, candida overgrowth is not solely responsible for all of these, and there is a lot of misinformation surrounding its causes and effects. Join us in getting to the gut of the matter of candida.
Possible Symptoms of Candida May Include:
- Chronic Sinus Issues
- Hormone Imbalances
- Bloating and Other Digestive Issues
- Decreased Sex Drive
- Bad Breath
- Urinary Tract Infections
- Joint Pain
- Uncontrolled Food Cravings (Especially for Bread, Pasta, and Sweets)
- Brain Fog and Difficulty Focusing
If an overgrowth of candida is suspected, dietary and lifestyle changes are often necessary to help heal it and prevent it from recurring. Greatly reducing or eliminating consumption of processed foods and high-carb, sugary foods is one of the best things to help "starve out" candida. Candida is often said to feed on sugar, so reducing its food supply may help reduce the problem. Having regular bowel movements may also help with candida overgrowth. So eat plenty of organic fruits and vegetables to get the fiber you need to stay regular, and drink plenty of water to flush that fiber out.
Product Mentioned in Today's Show
Candida Support - This powerful phytonutrient complex was designed for restoring and maintaining a healthy, balanced gastrointestinal microbiota. Along with undecylenic acid, this formula also provides berberine and other synergistic factors.
July 17, 2019
Stress is affecting your quality of life by:
- It is messing with your brain
- Increases risk of heart attack, heart disease and stroke
- Stress dials down your immune system
- Chronic stress contributes to aging
- Contributing to weight gain and digestive disorders
- Chronic stress affects your mood and relationships
- Stress increases pain
- Stress affects sexuality and reproductive functions
- Chronic stress affects your skin, hair and teeth
- Stress contributes to addiction
Product mentioned in today’s show:
Core Support - Core Support helps maintain Phase II detoxification by providing protein, fiber and nutrients to promote normal detoxification function.
Lab Mentioned in Today’s Show:
Comprehensive Panel - Comprehensive Panel w Consult panel contains 13 tests with 102 biomarkers.
February 14, 2019
Heart Attack – It’s Not Just For Men
Symptoms that you might be having a heart attack:
- Sudden Dizziness
- Pressure, tightness, pain, aching or squeezing sensation in the chest that may radiate to the neck, jaw or back
- Abdominal Pain
- Shortness of Breath
- Cold Sweats
Products Mentioned on Today’s Show:
Bergamot - Numerous clinical trials have shown the specific bioactive polyphenolic fractions found in Bergamot BPF works at the level of the liver to help maintain and support healthy cholesterol levels and preserve coronary arteries by maintaining inflammatory balance.
CitraNOX - delivers full-spectrum support to help support inflammatory balance, arterial elasticity, optimal nitric oxide levels, and blood flow. CitraNOX provides a powerful formula for those seeking to optimize several mechanisms of cardiovascular health.
Lab Mentioned in Today’s Show:
GWH-4 Super Panel Plus Men’s Hormones Includes Consultation –
contains 20 tests with 91 biomarkers.
April 20, 2017
How do you reduce inflammation? Listen to this weeks episode of The Functional Medicine Radio Show, where we are Dr. Carri's special guests and we talk about inflammation and how to stop it!
Main Questions Asked:
- What is inflammation?
- Where do cytokines come from?
- How does someone spot food that is non-GMO?
- What are some other ways for us to start reducing inflammation?
Key Points Made by Dr. Stephen and Janet Lewis:
- Inflammation is not necessarily “bad” – it’s the body’s natural reaction to injury.
- Certain foods will also cause inflammation due to cytokines and can lead to chronic disease.
- There are two major issues that we need to deal with: toxicity in our environment and bodies, and genetically modified foods causing inflammation.
- Soy and corn are the most modified crops in North America and they make up large portions of the average diet.
- Wheat and gluten sensitivity are major causes of chronic disease and inflammation.
- In the US non-GMO food is typically labeled USDA Certified Organic.
- In Canada non-GMO food is much harder to spot – a label that says “organic” can still contain GMO foods.
- Digestive enzymes and probiotics will help your GI tract heal.
- Filtered water, more rest, and a sense of humour can help with reducing inflammation.
- One way to tell if you’re suffering from inflammation is from your bowel movements, you should eliminate 20-30 minutes after each meal.
- Stick with the probiotics, it takes time to heal the damage done by inflammation. Many problems go away when you feed your body properly and detoxify your body.
- America is the sickest developed nation in the world.
- Increase nutrients, decrease toxins, repair the gut leakiness and replace that with friendly digestive enzymes.