March 12, 2019
The most common conditions and lifestyle factors that cause insomnia include:
- Stress and Anxiety
- Back Pain
- Frequent Urination
- Hot Flashes
- Sleep Apnea
- Restless Leg Syndrome
- Digestive Problems
- Allergies or Respiratory Conditions
- Shift Work
- Alcohol and Drug Use
- Certain Medications Including Antidepressants
Products Mentioned to help with Sleep:
Kavinace Ultra PM - One capsule of Kavinace Ultra PM taken at bedtime for 5 days significantly improved quality of sleep as measured by the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (6).* Participants taking Kavinace Ultra PM reported decreased time to fall asleep, increased duration of sleep, and decreased sleep disturbances (6).*
Best Rest - Promotes the onset of sleep as well as sleep quality* Supports natural relaxation of the nervous system* Made with flower extracts and other natural ingredients Made with hypoallergenic, vegan ingredients Best-Rest Formula supports healthy sleep cycles by encouraging an easy transition to sleep and a restful night’s sleep
March 6, 2019
Signs and Symptoms of Hormonal Imbalances
- Weight Gain or Weight Loss
- Depression and Anxiety
- Low Libido
- Changes in Appetite
- Digestive Issues
- Hair Loss and Thinning Hair
- Low Testosterone
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Adrenal Fatigue
- Hyperthyroidism and Graves Disease
Some Symptoms Women May Experience Include
- Infertility and Irregular Periods
- Painful PMS
- Vaginal Dryness
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Product Mentioned In Today’s Show:
CDG Estrodim - By keeping hormones in balance and ensuring the body is able to process hormones properly, cruciferous vegetable metabolites (such as I3C and DIM) work together to reduce hormone overload and maintain cellular health
February 20, 2019
Stomach Issues And Their Link to Osteoporosis
Did you know that chronically low stomach acid has a major role in setting you up to develop osteoporosis symptoms down the road?
- Inactivity, or too little exercise
- Hormone Changes or Imbalance
- Low Vitamin D Levels
- High Amounts of Stress and Depression
- History of Medical Conditions Such as Autoimmune Disorders
- Weight loss, dieting that results in severe calorie restriction
- Long-term use of certain medications, including proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRIs), fertility drugs/hormonal medications.
- Nutritional deficiencies, especially in vitamins and minerals that help to build bone such as calcium, phosphorus and vitamin K
Products Mentioned in Today’s Show:
K-Force - Vitamin K helps maintain bone mineral density by decreasing the activity of osteoclasts, cells which break down bone
OsteoBase - OsteoBase provides 300 mg of calcium (150 mg in the form of hydroxyapatite) and 300 mg of magnesium per serving, in a 1:1 ratio.
Lab Panel Mentioned in Today’s Show:
Comprehensive Panel with Consult - The GWH - 3. Comprehensive Panel w Consult panel contains 13 tests with 102 biomarkers.
February 14, 2019
Heart Attack – It’s Not Just For Men
Symptoms that you might be having a heart attack:
- Sudden Dizziness
- Pressure, tightness, pain, aching or squeezing sensation in the chest that may radiate to the neck, jaw or back
- Abdominal Pain
- Shortness of Breath
- Cold Sweats
Products Mentioned on Today’s Show:
Bergamot - Numerous clinical trials have shown the specific bioactive polyphenolic fractions found in Bergamot BPF works at the level of the liver to help maintain and support healthy cholesterol levels and preserve coronary arteries by maintaining inflammatory balance.
CitraNOX - delivers full-spectrum support to help support inflammatory balance, arterial elasticity, optimal nitric oxide levels, and blood flow. CitraNOX provides a powerful formula for those seeking to optimize several mechanisms of cardiovascular health.
Lab Mentioned in Today’s Show:
GWH-4 Super Panel Plus Men’s Hormones Includes Consultation –
contains 20 tests with 91 biomarkers.
February 6, 2019
Symptoms of a Possible Leaky Gut:
- Food Sensitivities
- Thyroid Conditions
- Joint Pain
- Skin Issues like Rosacea and Acne
- Digestive Problems
- Weight Gain
If any of these symptoms are left un-repaired, it can lead to more severe health issues like inflammatory bowel disease, IBS, arthritis, eczema, psoriasis, depression, anxiety, migraine headaches, muscle pain and chronic fatigue.
Products Mentioned on Today’s Show:
SBI Protect Powder - Supports GI Barrier Health and Integrity
Probiotic 225 - Is a maximum-strength probiotic for cases of severe gastrointestinal (GI) and immune challenges
Lab Recommended in Today’s Show:
Comprehensive Lab Panel with Complimentary Consult:
Contains 13 tests with 102 bio-markers –
Please fill out the health survey after ordering this panel
June 1, 2017
Memory problems, brain fog? What's going on with your mind? Could it be from lack of sleep, stress, thyroid issues or possibly gut sluggishness? Find out on this show where your mind went and how to get it back!
April 20, 2017
How do you reduce inflammation? Listen to this weeks episode of The Functional Medicine Radio Show, where we are Dr. Carri's special guests and we talk about inflammation and how to stop it!
Main Questions Asked:
- What is inflammation?
- Where do cytokines come from?
- How does someone spot food that is non-GMO?
- What are some other ways for us to start reducing inflammation?
Key Points Made by Dr. Stephen and Janet Lewis:
- Inflammation is not necessarily “bad” – it’s the body’s natural reaction to injury.
- Certain foods will also cause inflammation due to cytokines and can lead to chronic disease.
- There are two major issues that we need to deal with: toxicity in our environment and bodies, and genetically modified foods causing inflammation.
- Soy and corn are the most modified crops in North America and they make up large portions of the average diet.
- Wheat and gluten sensitivity are major causes of chronic disease and inflammation.
- In the US non-GMO food is typically labeled USDA Certified Organic.
- In Canada non-GMO food is much harder to spot – a label that says “organic” can still contain GMO foods.
- Digestive enzymes and probiotics will help your GI tract heal.
- Filtered water, more rest, and a sense of humour can help with reducing inflammation.
- One way to tell if you’re suffering from inflammation is from your bowel movements, you should eliminate 20-30 minutes after each meal.
- Stick with the probiotics, it takes time to heal the damage done by inflammation. Many problems go away when you feed your body properly and detoxify your body.
- America is the sickest developed nation in the world.
- Increase nutrients, decrease toxins, repair the gut leakiness and replace that with friendly digestive enzymes.
February 28, 2017
Confused about which fats are good for you and which ones are not? Wondering if all oils like, coconut, fish, flax, MCT are all made to do the same things in the body? Does it really matter? Listen and find out which ones you should be taking for heart health, cholesterol lowering, weight loss and many other health issues!